This book, our consulting services, and our resourceful blog posts will help you take a church from instability to vibrant health, including:
• How to build a healthy outlook on finances
• How to establish sound biblical stewardship
• How to establish a foundation of accountability
• How to set and measure goals
• How to triage an unhealthy church
• How to plant a healthy church
In 2011 James Boyd and his wife, Tracy, moved their family from Michigan to Naples, Florida, to take the helm of a dwindling congregation struggling under the weight of financial deficit. Armed with faith, prayer, generosity—and a good dose of proven business experience—James restructured the internal workings of the organization in accordance with sound finance and business principles.
How to Grow a Healthy Church
[stuff they don’t teach in seminary]
• With God, Nothing Is Impossible
• Called to Bi-Vocational Ministry
• First Things First
• Schooled in the World, Schooled in the Word
• The “You First” Principle of Relational Leadership
• Leader: Lead by Example!
• Grow Church Culture
• Grow Church Language Culture
• Grow Church Cultural Phrases
• By-Laws for a Healthy Church
• Executive Leadership
• Pastors and Directors
• Accountable to the Vision: The Big 4
• The Financial Blame Game
• The Priorities of Money
• The Blessing of Obedience
• Establish a Personal Budget
• Establish a Healthy Financial Goal
• Debt: Friend or Foe?
• Stewardship Is Hard Work
• Focus on the Wildly Important Goal (WIG)
• Act on Lead Measures
• Keep a Compelling Scorecard
• Create a Cadence of Accountability
• The 10-3-1 Process
• Working the WIG
• Setting Departmental Measures
• Employees and Services
• Ministry Operations and Building
• Preparing Our Annual Budget
• Establishing Line-Item Managers
• Standard Operating Procedures
• Director Data Access for Future Success
• Staff Budget Controls
• Meetings and Communications
• Step One: Collect Data
• Step Two: Color-Coded Breakdown
• Step Three: A Critical Review
• Step Four: Church Focus
• Step Five: Spotlight Top Priorities
• Step Six: Evaluate, Encourage, Challenge
• Step One: Assemble Your Numbers in Color
• Step Two: Do the Math
• Step Three: Review Salaries and
Make Necessary Changes
• Step Four: Break Down the Budget
to Ministry Areas
• Step Five: Assemble the Church Calendar
• Step Six: How to Answer Questions
That Don’t Have Definitive Answers
• Step Seven: Establish a Process Flow
for First-Time Visitors
• Determining Your Church’s First-Year Budget
• Participation and Partnership
• Continue to Cast Vision
• Legacy Team
• Interest Group Meetings
• First-Year Budget Breakdown
(not including startup budget)
• Employees and Services
• Operations and Building
• Startup Budget Breakdown
• Building Teams of Volunteers
See what others are saying about
"How to Grow a Healthy Church"
I can say with confidence, in knowing James Boyd and watching what has transpired at Grow Church, what you have in this book is an indispensable tool to that very end.
This book will help you develop the most important concepts that can take your church to another level in the “behind-the-scenes” aspect of church. It presents church systems, strategy, and processes in a simple, bite-size fashion for immediate implementation.
In this book, James breaks up the clumps of confusion and gives clear blueprints any church can follow. It is a “must” for all pastors in training, and for those who think they are trained.
Accepting the gift of administration requires a submission to best practices—this statement is, in essence, the content of Pastor James’s book.
I have twice witnessed the quantifiable success of this book. First, with the amazing turn- around of the mega church in Medellin, and then with my own home church in Raleigh, North Carolina, after having connected their leadership team with the executive team at Grow Church. So, enjoy the read and expect to grow!
We believe you will see phenomenal fruit come as you learn and apply James’s principles, partnering with God, who brings the increase for His glory.
I recommend this book and the online website resource to every pastor and church in America who desires to make an impact with the Great Commission in their city.
This book belongs in the hands of every church leadership team that will not quit on reaching our culture, and in the hands of every Bible school and seminary student who wants to be fully prepared for what he or she will face for the future of the church.
Pastor James Boyd has been blessed in the pulpit as well as in private business. With his unique background, he shares experience from the business sector in a very pragmatic manner that will benefit any pastor whose church is struggling.
It has been my pleasure to get to know James Boyd as a pastor and friend. I testify that he is an extremely talented man who has been called to the Christian community at the direction of the Holy Spirit.
With the strategies and processes laid out within these pages, along with the assured guidance of the Holy Spirit, you too can build or transform your church into a significant force to advance the kingdom of God here on earth.
I highly recommend this book. It will inspire and challenge the reader, as well as be a great tool for pastors and church planters. The consistent, healthy growth of Grow Church certainly displays the credibility of this book.
Frequent posts filled with helpful resources to meet you right where you're at. The goal is to answer the questions that are popping up before you even ask them.